Thursday, July 7, 2011

Energy Vampires

A phrase I heard at a work conference last year that has stuck with me is "energy vampire". Energy vampires are things that drain you automatically just by being near them or dealing with them. They can be situations, tasks or even people.

Figuring out what my energy vampires are has been invaluable to me. It has helped me figure out why some days are so much worse - or better! - for me than others. There's a flip side to them, too - "sunshine sources". When I interact with more "sunshine sources" than "energy vampires", it's easier to have a great day.

Some of my energy vampires are...
- Drinking too much soda
- Manipulative people
- False guilt/guilt tripping
- Overscheduling myself
- Inflexibility from others
- Feeling controlled or micromanaged
- Negative people
- Burger King
- Feeling like my house/laundry/car is OOC
- Surprises (I know, I know.. I just like to plan ahead).

Sunshine sources include...
- Getting sleep and drinking a TON of water
- My dogs & pony - including walking them and cleaning stalls
- Exercising
- Music that fits my mood
- Sonic, Starbucks, Oreos - all my favorite food groups
- Time on the phone or in person with my closest friends and my family
- Vacuuming and doing laundry (but NOT folding it)
- Being able to spend lots of time getting ready in the morning
- Checking things off of my to do list
- Laying around - by the pool, watching a movie with my college roommate, in the grass with my nephew, in front of the fire in the winter.

As Dr. Brown likes to say "One day, I woke up and decided that I would never have another bad day. And I haven't." I love that attitude! But avoiding those energy vampires certainly helps, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment